N-Methyl-2 Pyrrolidone (NMP) is a very versatile solvent with a wide range of uses. It a powerful compound that is considered reliable due to its high thermal and chemical stability. In spite of its use in a number of chemical products, NMP is biodegradable and recyclable (via distillation).
- NMP can be used for coating, cleaning and stripping. Some of its applications include:
- Photoresist stripping for electronics
- Stripping agent for various consumer and industrial products
- Cost-effective solution for graffiti removal; highly effective in removing crayon and lipstick from various surfaces
- Solvent for use in pharmaceutical formulations; may be a good compound to use as an enhancer for more effective skin penetration of cosmetics and medicines
- Solvent for mixing and producing various formulations for use in agriculture
The compound is usually a clear to a very light yellow liquid. It can be combined with commonly used solvents including chloroform, benzene, certain ketones or alcohols, and ethyl acetate. It has a high boiling temperature, a low volatility and a high flashpoint.