Nitric acid, which is also referred to as spirit of niter or aqua fortis, is a strong corrosive mineral acid. This colorless acid can often appear yellow due to the presence of oxides of nitrogen.
Its main purpose is the dissolution of other compounds, but it also has other applications including:
- Oxidizing agent in rocket fuels.
- Woodworking as an ageing agent to change the appearance and color of certain types of wood.
- Test the purity of gold.
- Food processing and manufacturing to remove magnesium and calcium introduced during the conversion process.
- Agricultural fertilizer to aid in the growth of plants.
- Promoting the growth of algae in rivers and streams.