Sulfuric Acid (BA-9681-33, ACS, 2.5 Liter Bottle)
This acid is a clear, colorless, and oily liquid. It is also called oil of vitriol for this reason. It is odorless and tasteless, although it is harmful to humans if swallowed or inhaled. This acid is highly corrosive to both human tissue and most metals.
Most of the world’s sulfuric acid is utilized in the production of fertilizers. Phosphate rock is treated with a solution of sulfuric acid to produce phosphoric acid, which is vital to most fertilizers being used today. This chemical is also utilized to clean rust and limescale off of metals and can be part of the petroleum refinement process as well. Various dyes, detergents, and resins are also produced by this chemical.
Although sulfuric acid is not flammable, it must be handled with extreme caution. It can cause severe chemical burns to the skin and eyes and may result in blindness. Ingestion can be fatal. Proper safety gear must be worn at all times.